How Big Business and Big Government combine against the aam aadmi, the common man.
- Deny the British empire’s crimes? No, we ignore them | George Monbiot (guardian.co.uk)
- Evidence of Britain’s colonial crimes revealed, including orders to cover up further atrocities (boingboing.net)
- Secret colonial file on Barack Obama Sr. released by British (worldnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- 1857 – A Year in Hindsight (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- Britain destroyed records of colonial crimes – The Guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- National Archives release colonial papers – live blog (guardian.co.uk)
- Garvey’s Ghost: Black Talk: Britain destroyed records of colonial crimes (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- 1857 – A Failed ‘Mutiny’? (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- Indian Independence – Prison Logistics (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- Death of Indian Shipbuilding (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- British Raj – The Rewards of Collaboration (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- Why India Is Democratic and Pakistan Is Not (3quarksdaily.com)
- A Series of Atrocities (lewrockwell.com)
- Famous Last Words (2ndlook.wordpress.com)
- Economic history of colonial rule (thehindu.com)
- Rag & Bone show: From Brit roots to Asia (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Beware the Vengeance of the Afghans (lewrockwell.com)
- Rewind TV: Empire; Melvyn Bragg on Class and Culture; Proud and Prejudiced; Make Bradford British; Upstairs Downstairs – review (guardian.co.uk)
- Indian History – Blind At Birth? (quicktake.wordpress.com)
- Saving Pakistan… and India? (3quarksdaily.com)
- ‘Ghosts of Empire,’ by Kwasi Kwarteng (nytimes.com)
Within 18 months of the start of the WW1, the British and the French had started discussing how to ‘dispose’ the territories of the Ottoman Empire. Of course, the people of the Middle East were not consulted – as they did not matter.
Demonising communism and now Islam. Without taking the responsibility for their own actions – and further interventions, creating further instability. Like the demonisation of the Jews before and the Red Indians after, this too is having disastrous effects – in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan.
King Leopold sold his ‘personal colonies’ to the Belgian state for GBP3.8 million. Finally, this massacre stopped only when the Belgians realised that there might not be people left for ‘forced’ labour.
The Belgian Government should be put up on Nuremberg type trial.
Another form of population control by the West!
Powered by ScribeFire.
Only 90 years ago, the agents of King Leopold II of Belgium massacred 10 million Africans in the Congo. Cutting off hands as we see in Sierra Leone today, was very much part of Leopold’s repertoire. Today, Leopold’s “rubber terror” has all been swept under the carpet. Adam Hochschild calls it “the great forgetting” in his brilliant new book, King Leopold’s Ghost, recently published by Macmillan. This is a story of greed, exploitation and brutality that Africa and the world must not forget. (via The Butcher of Congo).
The colonisation of Congo – by Belgium
10 million dead. Hitler seems like an angel. At least, he used advanced decent industrial systems to kill the Jews. The Belgians just went ahead and butchered the people of Congo. It happened just 30 years before Hitler.
Why is there no Nuremberg Trials against King Leopold and the Belgium. I can see One reason – race. One word – colour. Because Hitler butchered the Europeans, he is demonised. Because King Leopold did that against the Africans, he is sanctified and possibly will be cannonised.
And to think that Sonia Gandhi values medals in Leopold name.
Behind the current state of Africa is the West. Behind Western prosperity is blood of the colonies. This is the story of Belgium – and its colonisation of Africa.
Powered by ScribeFire.
The New York Times (8 January 1992) published the results of a public opinion poll surveying national negative attitudes to fifty-eight different racial and ethnic populations in the USA over a twenty five year period. For the entire quarter century, Gypsies were ranked at the very bottom of the list, the most discriminated-against minority in the eyes of the general population. (via Romani Culture and Gypsy Identity By Thomas Alan Acton, Gary Mundy).
As Europeans went to the New World they carried their Old World prejudices also. This book talks about how the Romani Gypsies come at the bottom of the ethnic perception surveys. There seems to be total indifference to their social situation by the persecuting majority – unlike the affirmative actions taken for the African Americans in the USA or the reservation systems for uplift of various backward classes in India.