Are we making the same mistake again? Jinnah acted pricey with the support of half a per cent (0.5%) of India's Muslim population - and the might of the British Raj behind him! (Cartoon - Artist - Low; David (1891-1963) Published - Evening Standard, 04 Sep 1946).
Jinnah’s derived legitimacy by getting 500,000 Muslim votes – from a Muslim population of 10 crores in 1940s.
Indian Muslims did not chose the Muslim League. British policy in India made it seem that Indian Muslims had chosen the Muslim League. Of the nearly 10 crore Muslims, less than 5 lakhs voted for the Muslim League.
Jinnah’s claim and bravado sprang from the backing of half a per cent of India’s Muslim Population. Popular leaders like Sheikh Abdullah of Kashmir or the Deoband Seminary rejected emphatically Jinnah and his Pakistan theory. The ordinary Muslim had no truck with Jinnah or Pakistan.
As India fumbles in Kashmir, this perspective becomes important to modern India.
Omar said said Jammu and Kashmir is a political situation which needs political handling. “It requires a political package more than an economic package,” he told newsmen after wrapping up his meetings before returning to Srinagar.
“Jammu and Kashmir is a political situation. It needs political handling. It requires a political package more than an economic package. By political package, I mean dealing with issues like Armed Forces Special Powers Act, footprint of the security forces, rehabilitation package for youngsters who are across the line of control and compensation for victims of the ongoing trouble.
“We discussed at length the situation prevailing in the valley and the need for steps to be taken. The consensus was that the pre-requisite for any sort of initiatives in the state was some semblance of normalcy,” the Chief Minister said.
Official sources said the Centre was willing to kick-start political initiatives in J&K including talks with separatists but wanted violence to end first. (via news.outlookindia.com | Omar Talks Tough: Peace Before Political Package).
Fault-lines in illegitimacy
We have seen what has happened in Pakistan, with these power mongers, who have created a faulty identity for themselves. The Partition of 1947 was clear. Any Indian who is a Muslim first, has a place in Pakistan. For Indians, there is India!
That logic is still valid – and a small number of Kashmiris may need to be reminded of that ‘understanding’. We have also seen what has happened to minorities in Pakistan – and India.
Will Kashmiri separatists be any different?
Kashmir crushed by US and British attention (Zahoor's Cartoon: Daily Times).
Client states can’t be setting the agenda
It costs Arundhati Roy nothing, sitting comfortably on her half-a-million royalty, with her fangs deep into Indian media, to suggest that India consign another 2 crore (twenty million) Kashmiris into the Pakistani hell. Based on terrorist activities of some 2000 jihadis.
If a client state of the US is fomenting terrorism, by using about 4000-5000 people does not mean that the Indian State will shove nearly 25 million Kashmiris into Pakistani maw. Kashmiris first paid a price for Britain’s imperial designs. Now, this time, Kashmiri-Indians are paying a price, all over again, for US policy failures?
The US misadventure into Afghanistan follows the earlier US decision to convert Peshawar into an arms bazaar. The entire Afghan-Pakistani tribal area has become a battle ground for a civil war.
If the US is serious about Pakistan and Afghanistan, let them just leave the sub-continent. Stop playing off one against the other. Pakistan too, needs to grow up. They need to get out of the US orbit.
We can and will solve our problems.
Setting the record straight
I wonder why India is always on the defensive when it comes to Kashmir. Indian diplomacy behaves as a thief who is caught in the act. A few base assumptions are in order: -
- It was India that was partitioned – and Pakistan is an of-shoot of India. This partition was based on a tall claim made by some Muslim leaders that Muslims would be better taken care of by a separate Muslim State, ruled by Muslims.
- India, reluctantly, agreed to this false claim and logic. Indian Muslims in Pakistan, and the ‘muhajirs’ who emigrated, had little choice – and have suffered immensely. Having got their way, Pakistani leadership is responsible for the same. If Pakistan cannot address the issues that it was created to resolve, does it have a reason to exist?
- It is Indian leadership which is responsible for de-colonization – and Pakistan did not even exist. It was Jinnah who said that he, his secretary and a type writer got Pakistan from India. Let us take Jinnah’s statement at its face value. Good for you. Now deliver.
- For more than 5000 years, it is India which has taken care of people living in the modern definition of South Asia. India has agreed to include Kashmir in the Indian Union – and a few thousand ‘jihadis’ can change that.
- If Pakistan has some part of Kashmir, it is fully accountable – to India, the people of India. Every Kashmiri life is a responsibility of the Indian Government – whether it is governed by Pakistan or India.
- It is time that Pakistan is called to account – for every Kashmiri who is uncared for, has been left behind. It is time that India sets deadlines for Kashmir – and Pakistan must accept and meet those deadlines.
Kashmiris are Indians. No discussions, questions or arguments there.
The US hand in Pakistan has been apparent for 45 years now - at least after the Nixon administration. (Cartoon by Ajit Ninan; on 15th April, 2011; source and courtesy - timesofindia.com). Click for source image.
Worse than Kumbhakaran …
It is said in the Ramayana that Kumbhakaran woke up twice a year to eat and drink. And went back to sleep promptly after his eating and drinking.
The Abdullah clan is not worried about Kashmiris in POK. The Muftis could not care less. The Indian Government, all our political parties (in alphabetical order – BJP, Communists, Congress, Kashmiri political outfits) seem to doing one better.
In the last 25 years, I have never heard a squeak from anyone about the state of Indians under the Pakistani heel.
Or is it Pakistani hell.